* 1-lb. fresh whole fish – red snapper, seabass, talapia
* 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
* 1 chillies, cut into stripes
* About 1 Tbsp finely slivered fresh ginger
* 8-10 shallots cut into thin rounds
**(it tasted better with shallots than onions)
* 1tbsp Chinese wine
*2 Tbsp fish sauce
* Juice of 1-2 lime or half a lemon
Clean the fish, keeping head and tail attached. Rinse and drain well. Cut two vertical gashes on each side of the fish. Sprinkle a thin coating of salt ,pepper and rub evenly over fish.
Transfer the fish to a shallow dish. Arrange the garlic, chillies,ginger and 1/2 the shallots on the fish. Pour the fish sauce, wine onto the fish.
Bring 1-1/2 inches of water to a boil in the steamer pot before placing the rack with the fish over it. Cover and steam over medium-high heat for about 10 minutes. Open the lid and sprinkle some spring onions and shallots over the fish. Cover and steam for another minute. Remove from steamer, squeeze lime juice over the top and serve while still hot.