Dried chestnuts are mostly use in chinese cooking as in stewed, braised as it takes a long time to soften. It pair well with duck or pork. This dish that I’m making is similar with the chinese bak chang, meat dumpling.
Pork belly 1kg
1/2bowl dried shrimp
1bowl dried chestnut
1 bulb of garlic
2tbsp soy sauce
1tbsp dark soy sauce
2tbsp oyster sauce
20g rock sugar
1. Soak mushroom , dried chestnut till soft ( an hour)
2. Soak dried shrimp for about 10mins and drain out the water.
3. Pouch the meat with hot water for 5 mins and set aside.
4. Fried the dried shrimp with a tbsp of sesame oil till fragrant and add in the garlic. Next put in the mushroom and chestnut. Fried for 2-3mins.
5.Add the pork belly and ingredient B.
6. Add 1000ml of water making sure the meat is submerge in the water.
7. When the gravy is boiling, turn down the heat and simmer for an hour, till the meat is tender and the gravy is thick.
8. Once ready, take out the meat and cut it up before serving it with steam rice.
**taste can be alter to individual preferences.